Write a set of instructions to the present freshman class that explains how to write an essay for a Lit/Lang class.
Begin with a paragraph that describes what most freshmen & sophomores know or don’t know about writing. Think of what you learned the past two years. Think about what you need to learn this year.
Then describe, in a series of numbered steps what to do when writing an essay.
You should use the following questions as a way to organize your own essay about essays:
- What could writers do as part of pre-writing? How can they generate new ideas?
- How should they go about starting writing? How should they organize their ideas?
- How should they compose an introduction?
- How should they compose their body paragraphs?
- What is support? How much support does one need?
- How should they compose their conclusions?
- What should writers do before submitting their work?
Remember, you are writing to freshmen & sophomores and they need your help.