We have studied the works of a variety of writers this semester. Your task for this project is to recite the words of one or more of these authors from memory. Choose your selection wisely. This project will be worth 100 points.
- Only memorized texts can earn an “A”; however, memorizing alone cannot earn you an “A” for this project. See Presentation Rubric for grading criteria.
- If memorization is difficult for you, you can choose to take a letter grade reduction and use notes.
- If performing in front of your peers is difficult, you can choose to deliver your lines to Borger before or after school for a letter grade reduction.
- If you are not prepared to deliver your text the day you are scheduled, you will be docked a letter grade.
- All selections must be approved by Borger. Selections can be one of the following:
- A 75-100 word excerpt from Thoreau, Emerson, or Poe.
- A 15-20 lines of poetry by Longfellow, Poe, Dickinson, or Whitman. Since much of her poetry is short, you may choose to recite 1 long Dickinson poem or 2 short Dickinson poems to meet the length requirement.
- For poems longer than 20 lines, you may choose to recite a 15-20 line excerpt.
- A 75-100 word excerpt from a text related to the time periods we have discussed in class so far: American Romanticism, Dark Romanticism, Transcendentalism, and American Realism.
- 15-20 lines of poetry related to the time periods we have discussed in class so far: American Romanticism, Dark Romanticism, Transcendentalism, and American Realism.
- No more than two students can recite the same lines of text in the same class period. So, make your selections early!