We will begin the novel Monday, 02/02/2015 or Tuesday, 02/03/2015. It is your responsibility to stay on top of the readings, especially when you are absent. Being absent doesn’t mean you are exempt from homework. As per the syllabus, you will still be responsible for quizzes and homework even when you’re absent because they are pre-scheduled.
Consider starting to collect quotes for the Split-Quote assignment which will be due once we are finished reading the novel. You will need a total of 18-24 quotes from throughout the novel (24/24 = 100% – A: 18/24 = 75% – C) . Quotes should cover themes related to friendship, loneliness, or the American Dream. Keep a notebook nearby for quote collecting as you read. I do not give out study guides for novels. Split-quotes are your study guide: create your own as you go.
Reading Schedule: Subject to change (but stay on track by reading a chapter a day and two chapters over weekends).
- Chapter 1 (pages 1-16) Monday, 2/2
- Chapter 2 (17-37), Tuesday, 2/3
- Chapter 3 (38-65), Wednesday, 2/4
- Quiz Chapters 1-3, Thursday 02/05/2015
- Chapter 4 (66-83) Thursday 02/05
- Chapters 5-6 (84-98; 99-107), Friday 02/06
- Quiz Chapters 4-6, Tuesday 02/10/2015
- 18-24 Split-Quotes Due Wednesday 02/11/2015 – worth 150 points