We will begin the novel Tuesday 03/29/2016. It is your responsibility to stay on top of the readings, especially when you are absent. Being absent doesn’t mean you are exempt from homework. As per the syllabus, you will still be responsible for quizzes and homework even when you’re absent because they are pre-scheduled.
Consider starting to collect quotes for the Split-Quote assignment which will be due once we are finished reading the novel. You will need a total of 15-20 quotes from throughout the novel. Quotes should cover themes related to friendship, loneliness, or the American Dream. Keep a notebook nearby for quote collecting as you read. I do not give out study guides for novels. Split-quotes are your study guide: create your own as you go.
Reading Schedule: Subject to change (but stay on track by reading a chapter a day and two chapters over weekends).
- Chapter 1 (pages 1-16) Tuesday 03/29
- Chapter 2 (17-37), Wednesday 03/30
- Chapter 3 (38-65), Thursday 03/31
- Quiz Chapters 1-3, Friday 04/01
- Chapter 4 (66-83) Friday 04/01
- Chapters 5-6 (84-98; 99-107) Monday 04/04
- Quiz Chapters 4-6, Tuesday 04/05
- 15-20 Split-Quotes Due Wednesday 04/06/16 – worth 150 points