Students should double check their notes with mine & fill in any gaps they are missing. There will be a quiz on Thursday over this information.
Before American Romanticism
- Broad tem referring to Protestant groups that sought to ‘purify’ the Church of England starting around 1560.
- Thought religion should be a personal, inner experience
- Wanted to return to a simpler form of worship
- Persecuted in England (noses slit, ears chopped off, whipped & jailed, etc.) = journey to “The New World” in 1620
- Philosophy centered on doubt: humanity is damned for all eternity because of Adam & Eve’s sin = unregenerate / damned. BUT, God is merciful (ergo Jesus) = elect / saved
- You couldn’t know if you were elect or unregenerate. Theology was clear about what would happen to saints & sinners but it was fuzzy about who were the sinners & who were the saints
- Puritan values developed as a way to try to become elect / saved:
Age of Reason: (1700’s)
- Rationalism: belief that human beings can arrive at truth by using reason rather than religion, past authority, or intuition.
- Rationalist values:
- Arrive at truth using reason
- God created universe but does not interfere with its workings
- World operates according to God’s rules & people can discover those rules using reason
- People are basically good
- You can worship God best by helping other people
Students will be assigned sections from the notes above. They will make a poster visually representing that quality of Puritanism / Rationalism for classroom display.